Workshop for MAY 2017
IMAGINE – the inspiration for PHOTOGRAPHY on an Aegean Island
CONSIDER – exploring photodocumentary, cyanotypes and books
AND ENJOY – Greek food and wine, experience the blue of the Aegean Sea, Greek lifestyle and its mythical landscapes – All shared with fellow workshop participants with similar interests.
We plan to work with participants to capture the experience of ‘being there’ and to tell stories about ‘place’ in books and photographs.
The workshop topics will include:
- The cyanotype process to produce prints on paper and cloth to reference the Aegean blue
- Working with found objects and inkjet negatives from photos made on excursions
- Making bespoke photobooks that you will handcraft during the workshop
- Aspects of documentary ‘placemaking’
- Using online photobook making services to design books
- A sharing of our techniques to optimise and enhance digital photographs.
What is included in the fee:
- Tuition for 12 days
- 12 breakfasts
- Opening & closing dinners
- 2 lunches
- Morning tea – on the days we are in the studio
- Excursion days – transport included
- The odd drink on the terrace overlooking the Aegean
Workshop specific materials included:
- Cyanotype chemistry
- Some printing papers and cloth
- An allocation of inkjet negative material for photographic images
- Basic book-making materials: threads, needles, glue
- Air conditioned studio access
A detailed website: SKOPELOS WORKS ON PAPER
Contact Steph Bolt at email@example.com
THE 2016 WORKSHOPS
FESTIVAL OF THE DARKROOM – WORKSHOP PROGRAM
Session 1 of 2 (November 1, Tues – Melbourne Cup day) 6.00-830pm
PINHOLE PRACTICAL DAY
Session 2 of 2 (November 6, Sun) 9.30am – 4.00pm
KEY THINGS YOU WILL DO IN THIS WORKSHOP:
- Make a pinhole camera
- Make a pinhole
- Take, process and print black and white film and paper pinhole photographs
- Introductory B&W darkroom
- Experience the aesthetic of retro-photography, photo history & hands-on image making
NOTE: THE PROGRAM HAS 2 SESSIONS
For more details and to book: http://pinhole-festival.eventbrite.com.au
FILM PROCESSING WORKSHOP
(November 2, Wed) 5.30-830pm
This session will provide you with an opportunity to experience the dark art of B&W FILM PROCESSING. Importantly this session is intended as a ‘see how it’s done’ as well as a ‘do it yourself’ activity. You will be invited to bring along a 35mm-24 exposure or 120 black and white film that will be processed by you as part of the workshop.
For more details and to book: http://filmdevelop.eventbrite.com.au
INTRO B+W PRINTING WORKSHOP
(November 9, Wed) 5.30-830pm
In this session you will encounter and experience the Dark Art of PRINTING B&W NEGATIVES. The topics will cover all of the key information required to setup and work in a darkroom making your own prints. If you processed negatives in series 1 you will have a contact sheet made.
This session is a ‘show and tell’ of the following topics. Handouts and URL links to useful sites are included in the session notes provided.
For more details and to book: http://printing-negatives.eventbrite.com.au
PRINTING SUPERVISED WORKSHOP
(November 12, Sat) 1.00-6.00pm
A supervised printmaking session using your negatives. After being introduced to an enlarger for the session you will make test prints, select the appropriate contrast grade and use basic print enhancement techniques to produce your own prints.
- You will work with a specialist darkroom practitioner to direct and support the printing session enabling you to make the most of this special opportunity.
- This session will include a critique of the work created.
- After completion of this series participants will be able to hire the Maud Gallery darkroom either as an individual or with mentored support.
For more details and to book: http://supervised-printing.eventbrite.com.au
(November 20, Sun) 9.30am – 4.00pm
The Cyanotype Workshop will provide for participants an introduction to the creative potential of the process.
Topics will include:
- Sourcing and mixing your own chemicals
- Selecting suitable subjects to image
- Selecting the best materials to print on
- Handcoating paper and cloth
- Sunlight exposures as well as using UVexposure units
- Processinng and drying
For more details and to book: http://cyanotype-festival.eventbrite.com.au
FINE ART PRINTING WORKSHOP
(November 26, Sat) 9.30am – 4.00pm
In the FINE ART Print workshop you will learn from the experience of working alongside Doug Spowart & Victoria Cooper hand-making a Fine Art print.
- In this fine art printing session we will work with one of your negatives so you can learn how to select the best image to work with, print and finish a photograph to the highest FINE ART standard.
- Working in a small group of 2-3 participants, advanced darkroom techniques, equipment and processes as well as creative printing controls will be demonstrated and performed.
- At the end of this workshop you will have a finished FINE ART print ready for framing.
For more details and to book: http://fine-art-printing.eventbrite.com.au
HERE IS A SAMPLE OF THE WORKSHOPS THAT WE CAN DO – or – Have done…
EARLY OCTOBER 2016: THE ORPHEUS ISLAND PHOTOGRAPHY WORKSHOP WITH LES WALKLING
“Come with us to the Great Barrier Reef’s Orpheus Island
2-8 October 2016 for a workshop with Les Walkling …”
Orpheus Island Photography Workshop is a full seven day all-inclusive unique experience designed for professional photographers and enthusiast/non-professional photographers. The James Cook University Orpheus Island Research Station is a world class research and teaching facility, and the tropical islands provide for amazing photographic opportunities. Featured this year will be Victoria Cooper and Doug Spowart. This is the twelfth year Les has presented this workshop and he rates it as his best.
The workshop comprises lectures, demonstrations and presentations each morning, backed up with hands-on work after lunch and into the evening utilizing state-of-the-art printing facilities and a fully colour managed professional workflow.
Escape the winter blues for a week on a tropical island and be inspired by an amazing photography experience with Les, Victoria and Doug.
- Gain creative insights and how to put the “Wow” factor into your images;
- Explore bookmaking and fine art photography with Doug and Vicki;
- Learn self development and marketing ideas for you and your business;
- Polish your digital capture and advanced processing techniques;
- Print perfect colour or black & white images every time, whether through your own printer or at your pro lab;
- Work with our sponsors and try out their latest equipment, all types of printing media, and win lots of prizes;
- Polish your workflow for maximum efficiency while achieving brilliant colour and the highest impact in images for your clients, your gallery, or for award competitions;
- Experience superb underwater photography locations for snorkeling and beachcombing;
Check out the videos from past workshops:
WORKSHOPS FOR SCHOOL ART SUPPLIES
in Artists Books & Photos + Fine Art Photo Printing with Canson papers – August 2014 (Details below)
Workshop with Cyanotype for the Capricornia Printmakers – March 2014
WORKSHOP: PHOTOBOOKS / ARTISTS BOOKS
Presented at Foto Frenzy Brisbane – May 2013
WORKSHOP: SOCIAL MEDIA
WORKSHOP: CREATIVITY DEVELOPMENT